We're on Google Calendar as an institution and have come up with some
practices that work decently well for scheduling our service points, by
making Google calendars for the service points themselves. Our staffing
includes 1 librarian and 1-3 students at the reference desk plus 1
librarian on chat, and we break this up into 3 calendars: Reference desk,
Student tech at reference desk, and Reference chat. We use a combination of
shared events, naming conventions and color coding to deal with shift
ownership, indicating "needs coverage", etc.

I don't know how well that would work for you since y'all are on Outlook --
that is, whether Outlook as the same combinations of features that have
made GCal work ok for us. This could especially be a problem if you need to
schedule students as well as staff, since your students are on Live Mail.
For us it works well since everyone's using GCal for their daily schedules
anyway.