Using SPARQL to validate seems like tremendous overhead.  From the Gerber
abstract: "A total of 55 rules have been defined representing the
constraints and requirements of the OA Specification and Ontology. For each
rule we have defined a SPARQL query to check compliance." I hope this isn't
55 SPARQL queries per RDF resource.

Europeana's review of schematron indicated what I pointed out earlier, that
it confines one to using RDF/XML, which is "sub-optimal" in their own
words.  One could accept RDF in any serialization and then run it through
an RDF processor, like rapper (http://librdf.org/raptor/rapper.html), into
XML and then validate.  Eventually, when XPath/XSLT 3 supports JSON and
other non-XML data models, theoretically, schematron might then be able to
validate other serializations of RDF.  Ditto for XForms, which we are using
to validate RDF/XML.  Obviously, this is sub-optimal because our workflow
doesn't yet account for non-XML data.  We will probably go with the rapper
intermediary process until XForms 2 is released.

Ethan