I hear the maintainer of File_MARC is pretty responsive to questions
and bug reports. This list might be a good place to raise questions
about usage; others may be interested.

Was the "random undescriptive exit error" something like the following?

C:\php>pear install File_MARC
Failed to download pear/File_MARC within preferred state "stable",
latest release is version 0.7.3, stability "beta", use
"channel://pear.php.net/File_MARC-0.7.3" to install
install failed

One of these days that package will make it to 1.0 and the "-beta"
will no longer be necessary. Or the pear.php.net install instructions
will include that. Or newer versions of PEAR will be smarter about
detecting that no stable version is available and automatically offer
to install the beta.