FYI... A torrent in a bagit, courtesy of dchud. -J

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dan Chudnov <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] HEADS UP - Government shutdown will mean
*.loc.govis going offline October 1
To: Jodi Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Uldis Bojars <[log in to unmask]>, Nuno Lopes <[log in to unmask]>

Hi all, and thanks for thinking of this, Jodi.  I guess I gave a few talks
on this 3-4 years ago, but haven't done much with it since.

With the shutdown pending, though, it seemed a good idea to grab id.loc.gov's
latest data downloads.  Here's a torrent file of all those zip files, in a
bagit bag:

http://dchud_at_umich_edu-server_backup.s3.amazonaws.com/20130930-id.loc.gov-data.tar.gz?torrent

"First, grab the data before it disappears..." :)

Best, -Dan

On Sep 30, 2013, at 6:56 AM, Jodi Schneider <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think that makes sense -- maybe send this to Code for Libraries <
>
> dchud had talked about this at one point -- not sure if there's anything
going on now?

> :) -Jodi
>

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Uldis Bojars <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> A safe [pessimistic?] approach would be to say "we don't trust
[reliability of] linked data on the Web as services can and will go down"
and to cache everything.

> In that case you'd want to create a caching service that would keep
updated copies of all important Linked Data sources and a fall-back
strategy for switching to this caching service when needed. Like
archive.orgfor Linked Data.

> Some semantic web search engines might already have subsets of Linked
Data web cached, but not sure how much they cover (e.g., if they have all
of LoC data, up-to-date).

> If one were to create such a service how to best update it, considering
you'd be requesting *all* Linked Data URIs from each source? An efficient
approach would be to regularly load RDF dumps for every major source if
available (e.g., LoC says - here's a full dump of all our RDF data ... and
a .torrent too).

> What do you think?
>
> Uldis
>

> On 29 September 2013 12:33, Jodi Schneider <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Any best practices for caching authorities/vocabs to suggest for this
thread on the Code4Lib list?

> Linked Data authorities & vocabularies at Library of Congress (id.loc.gov)
are going to be affected by the website shutdown -- because of lack of
government funds.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/09/library-of-congress-says-it-will-take-its-site-offline-if-govt-shuts-down/

http://twitter.com/riordan>