On 9/17/13 1:14 AM, Meehan, Thomas wrote:
> Karen,
>
> Yes, I mean that if you have something like:
>
> - example:book1 dc:title example:unknownTitle .
> - example:book2 dc:title example:noTitle .

Thomas, this does not work because the object of dc:title is the title
of the work (actually, the defintion is "A name given to the resource".)
Therefore, you have just declared the title of the work to be
"example:unknownTitle." That obviously isn't right, but most importantly
it isn't helpful. It isn't just a question of dcterms requiring a
literal, it has to do with the meaning of dc:title. You need a property
with a different meaning.

If you do this, then most dc-aware programs would display:

Title: example:unknownTitle

It would actually probably be more useful to say:

dc:title "unknown title"

although again you would be declaring that string to be the actual title
of the item, which then gets us into the "Title varies" issue -- that
is, you cannot prevent someone from creating a resource and giving it
the actual title "unknown title."

Now, if you were to have the object of dc:title defined as "Content as
Text", then, as the conversation continued between Esme and I, you could
have a blank text (which would be saying that dc:title = ""), and, since
the object of dc:title would be a URI (not a string), you could
potentially mint a new property with the semantics of "title status"
that could take an object like "example:unknownTitle."

kc