Hello - Juliet Hardesty and Courtney Greene at Indiana University Libraries
are investigating uses of Apache Solr indexing for discovery and access of
large data sets.  Specifically we are interested to learn about Solr
indexing schema configurations and customizations as part of our work
towards providing access to large data sets involving digitized special
collections, library catalog records, library services, and electronic
subscription databases, journals, and books.

As part of this work, we are conducting a survey to gather information
about the kinds of Solr schemas being used for indexing and how that comes
across to end-users via facets or indexed search fields.  If you have been
contacted by us previously and have responded to the survey or questions,
thank you for your participation.  We would like to hear from those of you
working with Solr indexes at your institutions or working to combine
distinct data sets for single-index searching/browsing via Solr.  In
addition to the anonymous 6-question survey linked below, please consider
responding directly to us regarding the following:

1) For projects involving non-MARC metadata, we are interested in gathering
Solr metadata schema examples for sharing.  Please respond with an example
of your Solr web application’s schema.  We will share the gathered schemas
with all those who respond.
2) For projects relying on SolrMarc, we are interested in choices you have
made in regard to data indexing and faceting; please respond with
information about choices you have made in that regard (i.e., the
index.properties file within SolrMarc). We will share the gathered
information with all those who respond.
3) Do you have usage statistics or user studies about the use of your Solr
index or its associated web interface?  Please share any information
regarding use of facets or indexed search fields or general feedback from
users about the Solr web application.

Details about this study are provided in the study information sheet
included in the following bundled link.  Please be sure you read and
understand the Study Information Sheet before proceeding to the survey:

Solr Metadata Schemas: A Query –
http://bit.ly/iub-solr

Thank you for taking the time to participate in our research.  Please feel
free to contact us directly with any questions.

Best,
Juliet Hardesty ([log in to unmask]) & Courtney Greene ([log in to unmask])
Indiana University Libraries