 There has been a demonstrated need for more artwork fields in embedded image metadata.  Acknowledging this, IPTC<http://www.iptc.org/cms/site/index.html?channel=CH0099>, the ubiquitous embedded photo metadata standard, has agreed to accept nominations for new artwork fields.  They won't be able to add all the fields on everyone's wish list, so a group composed of cultural heritage image professionals from several countries has begun a project to determine which fields are the most useful and likely to be adopted candidates.

What about the leftovers - all the other fields that people care about and will use?  The second part of the project is to develop, with input from a many communities in many countries, a rich schema for embedding CH metadata.  We hope to use a combination of properties from existing schemas rather than re-invent the wheel.  We also hope to gain broad acceptance so the standard is used globally (should be easy, right?).

This first step in this project is to gather input on the approach.  We would like to hear from as many people as possible. Please take a few minutes and give us your input:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1moyhSpVqq9te7AAcrS_Bi0g9ZIeVmpGqHHLC-TO2w1s/viewform

For an overview of the project, see:
http://electriclane.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/data-exchange-in-heritage-why-we-need.html

A detailed breakdown of the candidate fields (this is just a beginning - something to start the conversation)
https://sites.google.com/site/culturalheritagemetadata/<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fsites.google.com%2Fsite%2Fculturalheritagemetadata%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHbdfYYReePDIMufe0vwo6aNmjrVQ>

Thanks,

Greg Reser
Visual Resources Association
Embedded Metadata working group