Just to clarify: the password's only necessary to *edit *the PDF?

In my experience, most publishers are fine with required statements going
in the metadata, so long as the metadata is visible to users. That being
said, it does depend on the publisher, and their specific request.

Is it possible to contact the author directly about getting the password,
or a PDF that's not password-locked?

Jim

*Jim DelRosso, MPA, MSLIS
Digital Projects Coordinator*
*Hospitality, Labor, and Management Library*
Catherwood Library
ILR School
Cornell University
239D Ives Hall