From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matthew Mikitka
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Patron Loads from Banner (XML/Tab-Delimited)

Hi Lauren,

Depending on the number and complexity of your data sources, I recommend that you consider deploying an ETL system (ETL stands for "Extract, Transform, Load"). There are a few open source and free of cost frameworks on market, notably Pentaho's Kettle (see http://community.pentaho.com/index.html).

ETL frameworks provide several useful sub-systems e.g., logging, database adapters, error handling, deduplication, GUI, XML, etc.

Once deployed, you can quickly create a reliable "Extract from Banner", "Transform by merging with other data and cleansing", and "Loading into the ILS".

matt

>>> Lauren Magnuson <[log in to unmask]> 12/16/2013 12:17 PM >>>
Hello,

If anyone is willing to share an example of a script/process you are using to extract patron data from Banner (can be for any ILS, but I'm specifically interested in a script that's being used to generate either XML or tab-delimited data) I would appreciate it!

If you happen to be extracting patron data from Banner into XML format required by OCLC WMS, I'm especially interested.

Thanks,

Lauren Magnuson

--
Systems & Emerging Technologies Librarian, CSUN Systems Coordinator, PALNI @lpmagnuson <http://twitter.com/lpmagnuson>