I'm not going to defend API keys, but not all APIs are open or free.  You
need to have *some* way to track usage.

There may be alternative ways to implement that, but you can't just hand
wave away the rather large use case for API keys.

-Ross.

>>> http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~svhoolan/
>>> http://twitter.com/#!/sethvanhooland
>>> http://mastic.ulb.ac.be