Chris Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I've used one of the DIY Bookscanners kits. Worked great and I didn't have
> to go into the dumpster.  They did a good job on the components and
> assembly was rather easy.
>
> However, it is all very much a manual process. An operator has to work the
> machine to scan all the pages.

i confirm, there is a lot of diy (do it yourself).

but this software aims to facilitate the workflow:
http://spreads.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
https://github.com/DIYBookScanner/spreads

it's a python program to remote the two cameras, shoot simultaneously,
download the image file, rename, rotate or apply whatever filter,
and finally prepare the scantailor project, or just package the book in
pdf or djvu.
there is also an experimental web interface that lets to control
everything with the browser.
i'm using spreads on a raspberrypi (manually installed on a raspbian),
but there is
also a tailored image that you can build
https://github.com/DIYBookScanner/spreadpi

bye

--
raffaele, @atomotic