If you want to be a systems librarian, I wouldn't bother with the MLIS,
honestly.  Yes, it's still a requirement on a lot of job postings _now_,
but more and more that's being dropped from systems roles in lieu of
relevant experience.

The other sad reality is that an entry level systems librarian position
probably makes less than a developer or sysadmin position in the same
department.

Fwiw, I have no masters in anything, a BA in theatre (the BEST degree, but
that's another thread), and have worked in library technology
professionally for 20 years (oh, hey there, ravages of time).  While not
having an MLIS has kept me out of consideration for some jobs in the past,
almost all of them just wanted a masters in _something_, which, in that
case, get a masters in CS or CE.

-Ross.