I'm doing some volunteer work on a project for a basement sound engineer
and publisher who has a large collection of recordings from conventions,
and wants to crowdsource identification of them with the people who
attend those conventions.

The idea is that people would be able to log in to a website, see a list
of short clips they can play, and enter identifying information such as
song title, performers, and instruments. It occurs to me that this might
have broader usefulness among libraries, archives, and researchers. If
so, it may be worth expanding this into a bigger open-source project and
seeking crowdfunding for developing it further, getting nice graphics,
etc. (Crowdfunding for crowdsourcing just seems right.)

On the other hand, the most common result when I come up with a great
idea is discovering that someone else has already done it better than I
could.

Obviously there are copyright issues. That's why only logged-in users
with a legitimate need can play the clips for identification purposes.
There may be other protections as well, such as limited-time availability.

So I'm interested in thoughts on this. Does it duplicate something that
already exists? Would it be generally useful?

--
Gary McGath, Professional Software Developer
http://www.garymcgath.com