Hi Stuart,

I've done RDF/DC to MARC for the Gutenberg Project.  Requires a lot of
clean up especially with respect to subject heading strings since LCSH
might well appear in DC element but need to be parsed into marc subfields.
 Tedious, human intervention required in the case of the Gutenberg Project.

Close to finishing the editing of about 4000 records harvested in late
December, 2014; about 16 months after an initial harvest of about 40,000.

The RDF/DC had changed somewhat but significantly fewer subject headings it
seemed.  I decided to examine virtually every item and to find better
records at the Library of Congress or more frequently the Internet Archive
[ archive.org/details/texts ]

Fully agree how important it is but don't think I'll do it again since
consumes all my free time.  Maybe if others could volunteer to do that, I
could continue harvesting.  Only download of the complete collection is
possible but I use XSL to select records based on date added.

The collections you mention are worthy of being included in library
systems.  Metadata quality is a limiting factor.

regards,
dana

--
Dana Pearson