I have always thought that left-nav was the UX standard for left-to-right
languages (as opposed to Arabic, eg.: http://www.france24.com/ar/).

Personally, I feel that right-nav makes more sense across the board, due to
the fact that it is less distance to travel for right-handed people. But
the convention seems pretty set in stone. I am also not sure how screen
readers deal with right-nav - although i am guessing that there is no
problem there programming wise.

Blake

Blake L. Galbreath
Systems Librarian