To answer off the cuff as others have done, currently I am using a modified
version of qualified Dublin Core for the DSpace institutional repository I
manage.  I inherited the system which had some custom fields for
publication information and event information, as well as some fields being
used improperly that have since been fixed.  Edits to the metadata are
usually made in DSpace or in Excel with a CSV export, as well as some
transforms with XSL.  In previous jobs I have also used EAD in Oxygen to
make a finding, created a custom schema based on Dublin Core for a
CONTENTdm digital collection, and used a custom webform to create records
for digitized visual materials using a custom metadata schema that the
organization had.  Hope this helps.

Matt