Is this for an assignment, or are you looking for advice on a particular
project? There are many different tools available for specific purposes.
Some can help create files of descriptive metadata in a certain format,
others can pull out technical metadata, etc.

I generally just work with straight spreadsheets/XML and validate based on
the schemas. If I have something specific I need to check outside of the
schema requirements, I may create a schematron to validate against or pull
fields out with xpath to compare content.

I frankly don't like to get too tied to a specific software because I like
my metadata to be moveable and completely within my control.

Amelia Mowry

Metadata & Discovery Services Librarian
Wayne State University