I am less of a coder myself and more of a lurker, but I'm familiar with the
app development scene for games on mobile phones, and I would suggest
taking a look at http://xamarin.com/, which not only provides a platform
for cross-platform development in C# (code once and it runs on darn near
anything), but also has a service for cloud testing on simulated devices,
so that you can test your app without having a bunch of different tablets
and phones on hand. I don't know what the prices are like; I know that a
license for Unity, the game engine that's based on this platform, can be a
bit pricey (though cheap compared to other engines).