On 10/27/2014 10:02 AM, Siobhain Rivera wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm part of the ASIS&T Student Chapter and Indiana University, and we're
> putting together a series of workshops on Unix. We've noticed that a lot of
> people don't seem to have a good idea of why they should learn Unix,
> particularly the reference/non technology types. We're going to do some
> more research to make a fact sheet about the uses of Unix, but I thought
> I'd pose the question to the list - what do you think are reasons
> librarians need to know Unix, even if they aren't in particularly tech
> heavy jobs?
>
> I'd appreciate any input. Have a great week!

It's free! (same reason I've never really bothered with Java due to the
historic high entry barrier.) I am assuming here that the alternative is
Microsoft Windows ecosystem.

The other reason *systemd [0]* notwithstanding it tries to adhere to the
philosophy of a tool that does only one thing well held together with pipes.

While the second one is a matter of one's taste in solving problems the
first one for me is one I continue to take seriously because at the time
of embracing UNIX my life was at a fork that could have had me back in
Kenya and the thought of paying over US $200 for a tool with a 3 year
shelf like just seemed a crime.

Cheers,
./fxk

[0] http://judecnelson.blogspot.fr/2014/09/systemd-biggest-fallacies.html

--
Grabel's Law:
	2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for large values of 2.