From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joe
Hourcle
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Requesting a Little IE Assistance

It sounds like the issue already has a solution, but ...

On Oct 13, 2014, at 10:13 PM, Matthew Sherman wrote:

> The DSpace angle also complicates things a bit as they do not have any
> built in CSS that I could edit for this purpose.  I am hoping they
> will be amenable to the suggestions to right click and open in notepad
> because txt files are darn preservation friendly and readable with
> almost anything since they are some of the simplest files in
> computing.  Thanks for the input folks.

I'm not a DSpace user, but my understanding is that it's not a stand-alone
webserver ... which means that you may still have ways to re-write what gets
served out of it.

For instance, if you're running Apache you can build an 'output filter'.

I've only done them via mod_perl, but some quick research points to
mod_ext_filter to call any command as a filter:
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_ext_filter.html

You'd then set up a 'smart filter' to trigger this when you had a text/plain
response and the UserAgent is IE ... but the syntax is ... complex, to put
it nicely:

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_filter.html

(I've never configured a smart filter myself, and searching for useful
examples isn't really panning out for me).

... but I thought I'd mention this as an option for anyone who might have
similar problems in the future, as it lets you mess with images and other
types of content, too.

-Joe