Hello,

I think code4lib is awesome and I've seen threads on this list before that discussed whether code4lib should become a more traditional organization. I think code4 lib is fine as it is, but I think we definitely need a professional organization for librarians that code. These talks of standards and guidelines may reflect such a need. I think LITA is awesome as well! But is there not a need for something else?

As far as print books go, they are much too slow and don't functionally meet modern information needs, at least not in their current form (internet of things?) Maybe a little AR would help. The DRM, publishing, software, and standards issues are inhibitors, but I think the ship has sailed on the millions of non connected print books in academic library shelves.  I wouldn't get rid of them. But their days are numbered. I think print books are a niche and if we don't provide then we would lose an important part of culture. But I do wonder, how many open stacks have clay tablets and scrolls? Personally, I wish they did. But I wouldnt recommend that they be used to do serious work.

Cornel Darden Jr.
MSLIS
Library Department Chair
South Suburban College
7087052945

"Our Mission is to Serve our Students and the Community through lifelong learning."

Sent from my iPhone