I’ve never attempted this, but instead of linking to the text files directly, can you include the text files in an <iframe> and leverage that to apply sizing/styling information to the <iframe> content?

Something like:

<iframe src=“/path/to/file.txt”></iframe>

That structure, combined with some javascript tricks might get you where you need to be:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4612374/iframe-inherit-from-parent

Of course, if you’re already going that far, you’re not too far removed from just pulling the text file into a nicely formatted container via AJAX, and styling that container as needed, without the <iframe> hackery.

--
Andrew Anderson, Director of Development, Library and Information Resources Network, Inc.
http://www.lirn.net/ | http://www.twitter.com/LIRNnotes | http://www.facebook.com/LIRNnotes