On Oct 22, 2014, at 4:10 PM, Bigwood, David wrote:

> Any suggestions for publishing citations on the Web? We have a department that has lots of publications with citations at the end of each. Keeping the citations up-to-date is a chore.
>
> Many here use Endnotes, and I know that can publish to the Web. Any examples I can view? Would Libguides be something to consider? Any other suggestions for easily getting different groups of citations up in multiple places?
>
> Some examples of the pages involved:
> http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/explore/LifeOnMars/resources/
> http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/explore/solar_system/resources/
> http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/explore/space_health/resources/

Based on the pages that you've linked to, I wouldn't call those 'citations'*

I've seen them called different things, depending on the reason for creating the lists, and the intended audience.

For instance, if they're lists of scholarly resources (books & journal articles, maybe presentations & thesis) that make use of your group's data, then it's either an 'Observatory Bibliography' or 'Telescope Bibliography' depending on the scope, and sometimes just 'Publication List'.  Those are actually an easy case in our field, as The Astrophysics Data System indexes the main journals in our field, so you just need software that can look up metadata from bibcodes:

	http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=2004SPIE.5493..163H&data_type=BIBTEX&db_key=AST&nocookieset=1

'Publication Lists' are a little harder, as they often include "Public Press" coverage (ie, media intended for non-scientists such as newspaper / website / tv news / magazines), which ADS doesn't index.  (and you often want to grab a snapshot of them, in case it disappears)

For what you have ... although you have some links to formally published items, it looks to more be links to various websites with more information on a topic.  I've heard them informally referred to as "EPO Resource Pages" (EPO == Education & Public Outreach) or if specifically for teachers 'Educator Resource Pages".  I've typically seen them organized first by intended age level, then by the type of resource.  (organizing how you have it is generally for bean-counting when it comes time for senior reviews).

As for software recommendations ... if you're already using a CMS, I'd look to see if has any add-ons for managing either bibliographies or just lists of external links.

If you're looking for stand alone software, I'd look for 'Reference Manager' or 'Bibliography Manager' software that can generate HTML to post online.  There are some that allow you to manage everything online, but then you have to be worried about securing it** :

 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software

I'm not aware of any that have specifically been built for EPO purposes, but many of them have ways to add extra fields, so you could handle intended audience and your current classification that way.

-Joe

* There was actually an issue that came up during the work on the 'Joint Declaration of Data Citation Principles' that makes me believe that there are at least 6 different things that people may mean by 'citation', and yours would likely be a 7th.  See http://docs.virtualsolar.org/wiki/CitationVocabulary

** We had to drop the one we were using after a SQL injection, and my boss decided to ban all PHP on our network, so we rolled back to use 10+ year old software that had been written for another mission.