Hi folks,

The following job ad came out on journalism blogger Jonathan Stray's
website. I have no affiliation with the blog (other than that it's in my
RSS feed) or Mr. Stray, but it looked like the kind of thing that was right
up C4L's alley:

http://jonathanstray.com/job-help-us-learn-how-teaching-works-by-visualizing-millions-of-syllabi

---

"Overview
<http://overview.ap.org/blog/2014/01/algorithms-are-not-enough-lessons-bringing-computer-science-to-journalism/>
is an open-source document analysis and visualization system originally
developed at the Associated Press for investigative journalists. It’s been
used <https://github.com/overview/overview-server/wiki/News-stories> to
report some of the biggest investigative stories of the last few years.
We’re looking for a developer to extend the software to analyze millions of
scraped syllabi for the Open Syllabus Project
<http://opensyllabusproject.org/>.

"You will help us put 2 million scraped syllabi online, do natural language
processing to extract citations from each syllabus, and build
visualizations to do citation analysis. We want to see what people are
actually teaching for each subject, and how this changes over time, and
make this type of analysis widely available to researchers. We’re looking
for someone to build out Overview to support this, growing our team from
three to four people. This is an ideal job for a programmer with
visualization, natural language processing, digital humanities or data
journalism experience.

"The project is Scala on the back and Coffeescript on the front. We’re
looking for a full stack engineer who can extend the back end
infrastructure to process the syllabi, then build the UI to make all this
data accessible to users. You’ll be working within a small team of
professionals who will quickly get you up to speed on the core codebase
<https://github.com/overview/overview-server> and the plugin API
<https://github.com/overview/overview-server/wiki/Overview-App-API> you
will use to create visualizations. Everything you write will be released
under the AGPL open source license.

"This is a six-month contract position to begin with. We hope to extend
that, and we’d be especially excited to find someone who wants to grow into
a larger role within our small team. We’re a distributed team based out of
NYC, remote friendly, flexible hours.

"Contact me here <http://jonathanstray.com/contact-me> if interested."