Hi Erica,

We are working on a similar project converting  concert performances
from the past 20 years for our School of Music. though we use simple
OCR for PDFs (supporting full text searching), we are selectively
cleaning up OCR for metadata purposes. That is taking the first page
of PDFs, extracting text and converting said text to titles and dates.
We use simple regular expressions to remove line breaks and extra
white spacing.

Here are our working guidelines http://bit.ly/1v0c7w2. Perhaps there
might be something here that could be of help to you?

Best of luck with your project!

kind regards,
Monica

Digital Curation Coordinator