I've had success running node and nginx on the same digital ocean droplet
fwiw.

Apparently node and apache need to be run alongside each other on separate
ports. The answers to this question might be useful to your process:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14369865/running-node-js-in-apache.

Brian Zelip
---
MS Student, Graduate School of Library & Information Science
Graduate Assistant, Scholarly Commons
zelip.me