I would take a step back first and ask: Is production really the best place
to experiment? I strongly recommend experimenting somewhere else first. If
you truly are experimenting, and have never worked with node.js before, the
safer of the two options you asked about would be to start by putting the
app on a non-production cloud instance.

Furthermore, I'm not sure it makes sense to say which is better without
answering some other questions first, like: What are you trying to do? Why?
What are your requirements? What are your constraints?

For example, I needed to run a node.js app on a managed VM hosted by our
central IT org. I wanted to use a reverse proxy to handle SSL and some
other features that I did not want to handle in node. On a testing
(non-production!) VM, I first tried using nginx as a reverse proxy, but
setting up nginx on this VM was extremely painful. Our central IT org has
no experience with nginx, but they know Apache quite well. In investigating
options for using Apache as a reverse proxy, I discovered that Passenger
provides a lot of the features I wanted, plus some I hadn't even known I
wanted, and was very easy to set up on my VM. So I went with Apache +
mod_passenger. This tutorial helped a lot:
https://github.com/phusion/passenger/wiki/Phusion-Passenger%3A-Node.js-tutorial#why

David Naughton
--
Web Development