We are getting a bit afield, but I cry "CALUMNY" and I call out my esteemed
colleague for attempting to place an unqualified smirch on the good name of
Apache httpd.  I don't think there's  evidence to establish that Apache's
"prefork" MPM (the default Multi Processing Model used by default on *nix)
directly impacts its utility for use as a websockets proxy (also: Apache
offers more processing models these days, including the 'event' MPM which
is rather more like nginx).  Rather, it's the lack in Apache 2.2 of a proxy
module designed to specifically support websockets.  This has been
addressed in Apache 2.4 with mod_proxy_wstunnel.

cheers,

AC