The answer depends on your objective. The quick answer to your question is
that union catalogs are easier to maintain and generally work better than
federated searches.

Can you say a bit more about what catalogs need to be searched and what
needs to happen? For example, do the catalogs in question belong to a
consortium and is the mechanism used to get patrons books from libraries
other than their home libraries more circ or ILL based? What kinds of
systems are involved and how have you been dealing with the need you're
hoping to meet so far? Thanks,

kyle