It appears that the core of my problem was that I was unaware of

Option HttpsHyphens / NoHttpsHyphens

which toggle between proxying on

https://www.somedb.com.ezproxy.yourlib.org

and

https://www-somedb-com.ezproxy.yourlib.org

and allows infinitely nested domains to be proxied using a simple
wildcard cert by compressing things.

The paranoid in me is screaming that there's an interesting brokenness
in here when a separate hosted resource is at https://www-somedb.com/,
but I'm trying to overlook that.

cheers
stuart