Digging this list for sure.

One that hasn't been mentioned I read this year was the Last Policeman
Trilogy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Policeman). The final book
came out this summer, dark with a sense of hope amidst apocalypse. The
other that really took me away was The Buddha in the Attic (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Buddha_in_the_Attic), such a strong sense
of liberating unheard voices.

--Jimmy

--