Loving this list, y'all. Thanks Andromeda for starting this thread.

My two big hits this year have been:

It's Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens - danah boyd. Still
working on this one, but it's an eye-opener re: privacy, social media,
teens and adults. The author is offering the digital version for free
download: http://www.danah.org/itscomplicated/

No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics - anthology edited by
Justin Hall. Nice collection, many styles and voices represented.

--
Erin White
Web Systems Librarian, VCU Libraries