Salvete!

     Given that lawyers get heaps of money to sort this stuff out, and that this is a technical mailing list, you are perhaps best served cross posting this to a legal IP listserv. Budding lawyers are told that an ounce of prevention in IP is worth a pound of cure. At very least, you ought to post to a plain olde law listserv. Even there, this is hardly a well settled area of law. I would just couch things in hypotheticals and state that you're *cough* definitely not looking for legal advice and will take replies off list so that folks that feel like giving you a nice straight answer do so.

http://aallnet.org

     Would be where I would start a search. I'm super lucky because down here in DC there are tonnes of IP events that are free to attend at the Washington College of Law at American University. As far as I'm concerned, they're ahead of Georgetown in terms of community service. (Oh yeah, I went there.)

Cheers,
Brooke