On 9 December 2014, Andromeda Yelton wrote:

> Hey, code4lib! I bet you consume fascinating media. What good books did you
> read in 2014 that you think your colleagues would like, too?

+ Love & Math: The Heart of Hidden Reality, by Edward Frenkel; memoirs of a
mathematician who grew up and trained in the Soviet Union.  Explains a lot about
the Langlands program.
+ The Circle, Dave Eggers.  No masterpiece, but an updated 1984, set in the
company that succeeds Google and Facebook and all the others.
+ Stoner, by John Williams.  Life of an American professor of English.  Quiet
and powerful.
+ Can't We Talk About Something More Please?, by Roz Chast.  Cartoonist from the
New Yorker; this is a graphic memoir about her parents growing old and dying.
Very funny in some parts, very sad in others, always good.
+ The Peripheral, William Gibson.  100 pages in I had no clue what was going on.
200 pages in things fell into place and it (or I) took off like a jet.
+ Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces of Anonymous, by Gabrille
Coleman.  An anthropologist explaining the history and workings of Anonymous.
Includes the most gripping IRC logs I've ever read.
+ The Little Stranger, by Sarah Waters.  Old country house, post-WWII in
England, is falling apart, family has no money, local doctor gets involved ...
and strange things begin to happen.
+ The Org Manual (http://orgmode.org/org.html), where I always learn something
new about this wonderful tool.

Bill