Thanks Jason and David for you input.

Yes, to clarify I've worked on some node apps on a workstation then push them onto a production server to see how it works with other things on that server.

However, it seems like the better route is to start up a instance dedicated just for node apps. I'll try out nginx and Passenger to see if it meets our needs.

Best,
Junior

Junior Tidal
Assistant Professor
Web Services and Multimedia Librarian
New York City College of Technology, CUNY
300 Jay Street, Rm A434
Brooklyn, NY 11201
718.260.5481

http://library.citytech.cuny.edu

>>> Jason Ronallo <[log in to unmask]> 12/11/2014 1:22 PM >>>
Junior,

Not exactly your question, but there are sometimes reasons to proxy your
node.js app behind another Web server (say to share a domain or subdomain
with other applications or content without using a new public port). Choose
nginx in that case if you can. There are good tutorials for setting up
node.js apps as an upstream of nginx. The evented model of nginx works
better in cases where you're using some of the things node.js (or should I
be saying io.js these days?) excels at like keeping WebSocket connections
open. You'll generally get better concurrency and memory use with nginx in
these cases. Apache's blocking and threaded model is not suitable for
things like WebSockets. I can't say I fully understand all this, but from
what I've read and experienced it is true.

Reading David Naughton's post: I recommend Passenger to folks who aren't
system admins and want to run Ruby, node.js, or wsgi applications. nginx is
very easy to install using Passenger's installer and then you can choose to
use Passenger or not. If you use Passenger and your node app is not set up
to deal with multiple instances spawning then you will run into issues, so
you'll want to set the maximum instances for your application in Passenger
config to 1.

Jason