Hello Jeremy,
as Craig said, I think you mean Mediawiki :
- Wikipedia : the well-known encyclopedia project
- Wikimedia Foundation : the foundation running the servers of the
previous project (+ some others) and managing infrastructure / legal /
funds and so on
- Mediawiki : the open source software running all Wikimedia Foundation
projects, available as an open source product.

Mediawiki is built on PHP/Mysql and can easily be installed on almost
any hosting provider, but depending of the plugins you want, maybe you
will reach limitations of the lowcost hosting offers. For example, if
you want to use one of the biggest Mediawiki improvement of the last
year, VisualEditor which allows your user to contribute to the wiki
without knowing the wikicode ([[link]], '''bold''', == Title == ...) you
have to install an extra tool and that can be tricky on some hosts :
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VisualEditor )

Hope this helps.

Sylvain