Yes, I absolutely agree Eric - I am not sure if it is because we have no National Library - it might just be because of the US notions of individuality and freedom of commerce - as a country, we just won't tell anyone what to do, even if it’s to be open.

LIBER open data agreement: http://libereurope.eu/libers-open-access-publication-guidelines/

Sir Tim, Open Data Institute in Britain: http://theodi.org/team/timbl ; http://theodi.org/

EU/EC Neelie Kroes, open data - http://ec.europa.eu/commission_2010-2014/kroes/en/tags/data

My 2 cents and worth every penny -
deb

On Dec 19, 2014, at 8:48 AM, Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I don’t know about y’all, but it seems to me that things like linked data and open access are larger trends in Europe than here in the United States. Is there are larger commitment to sharing in Europe when compared to the United States? If so, is this a factor based on the nonexistence of a national library in the United States? Is this your perception too? —Eric Morgan

Debra Shapiro
SLIS, the iSchool at UW-Madison
Helen C. White Hall, Rm. 4282
600 N. Park St.