Ken: are you looking for pivot table functions?  I thought you were
describing something more akin to the Excel TRANSPOSE function.

If you are looking for a pivot table library, ADO is a good abstraction
library and has it built in.
http://phplens.com/adodb/pivot.tables.html

If you want to transpose a table, then look for 'php array transposing'. I
don't know of a specific library, but you can find examples in
stackoverflow, etc.