Forwarded to several lists, apologies for the duplication:

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of McCallum, Sally
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [BIBFRAME] The Library of Congress and OCLC - Working Together to Clarify Approaches to Library Linked Data

This announcement was posted on OCLC this week and we wanted to be certain that all are aware that we are working together to reconcile differences in approach:

The Library of Congress and OCLC are actively engaged and committed to working together to address library challenges using linked data technologies.

Starting in August 2014, the two groups initiated monthly strategic communications followed by a joint technical workshop in September to dig deeper into the technical complexities.  Topics discussed at these meetings included:

§  Structure and content of BIBFRAME pilot records

§  WorldCat holdings use cases

§  Similarities and differences between BIBFRAME and Schema.org  SchemaBibExtend vocabularies
The result was a commitment to co-author a white paper that will clarify how both approaches fit together to address specific library needs and challenges.

Look for additional white paper updates and joint presentation details at future conferences and events including the ALA Midwinter conference<http://alamw15.ala.org/> in late January.

Sally H. McCallum
Chief, Network Development and MARC Standards Office
Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20540  USA
Tel: 1-202-707-5119 - Fax 1-202-707-0115