Aereo[1] makes  clear that viewing streamed material is a performance .

«In 1976 Congress amended the Copyright Act in large part to reject the
Court's holdings in *Fortnightly* and *Teleprompter.* See H.R.Rep. No.
94-1476, pp. 86-87 (1976) (hereinafter H.R. Rep.) (The 1976 amendments
"completely overturned" this Court's narrow construction of the Act in
*Fortnightly* and *Teleprompter*). Congress enacted new language that
erased the Court's line between broadcaster and viewer, in respect to
"perform[ing]" a work. The amended statute clarifies that to "perform" an
audiovisual work means "to show its images in any sequence or to 2506
<http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?q=+Aereo+&hl=en&as_sdt=4,60&as_ylo=2010&as_vis=1&case=12966915270831588740&scilh=0#p2506>
*2506
<http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?q=+Aereo+&hl=en&as_sdt=4,60&as_ylo=2010&as_vis=1&case=12966915270831588740&scilh=0#p2506>make
the sounds accompanying it audible." § 101; see *ibid.* (defining
"[a]udiovisual works" as "works that consist of a series of related images
which are intrinsically intended to be shown by the use of machines...,
together with accompanying sounds"). Under this new language, *both* the
broadcaster *and* the viewer of a television program "perform," because
they both show the program's images and make audible the program's sounds.
See H.R. Rep., at 63 ("[A] broadcasting network is performing when it
transmits [a singer's performance of a song] ... and any individual is
performing whenever he or she ... communicates the performance by turning
on a receiving set").»