Dear Code4Lib community,
I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you in Portland.  Below I'll offer my answer to Andromeda's prompt for top reads of 2014, but first a request for your help: please tell your friends about our developer position in the NPR Library!

Here are few more details beyond those contained in the posting on C4L: The salary for this position will range between 70 - 105K depending on experience.  While dedicated to Library-sponsored initiatives, our developer will collaborate with a community of NPR coders by participating in biweekly code reviews and other standing conversations with NPR's Digital Media Tech Team.  In general, we strive to be agile in all that we do.  We typically work in two-week Scrum-based sprints.  We are preparing for a refactor of our audio archive in order to re-establish it as an API-first system (not just a system with an API).  Our product owners are also preparing to deliver work in taxonomy and tagging that will make each story more valuable in perpetuity.

If you'd like to know more, I hope you'll be in touch directly.  The description, with link to apply, is here<http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/18395/>.

Now, what good stuff did we read in 2014?  Our entire Library team read and discussed the New York Times Innovation Report<http://www.niemanlab.org/2014/05/the-leaked-new-york-times-innovation-report-is-one-of-the-key-documents-of-this-media-age/>.  I read (and did a lightening talk on) Greg McKeown's Essentialism after hearing him talk at SxSW.  Also, Jason Fried's Rework, and How the Mighty Fall by Jim Collins.  Right now I'm reading Jhumpa Lahiri's The Lowland.

One reason to love working at NPR is access to shelves and shelves of promotional copies of the latest books and music.  And the Tiny Desk Concerts<http://www.npr.org/series/tiny-desk-concerts/>.  Surely, you know a great coder who would love working in the NPR Library?

Cordially,
Hannah

NPR | Hannah Sommers | Program Manager | [log in to unmask] | 202.513.2064 | @hsommers | @nprlibrary