This year's been a pretty great one in terms of reading.  Some of my
highlights:

Roxanne Gay's Bad Feminist <http://www.roxanegay.com/bad-feminist/> - A
great collection of essays on pop culture, feminism, race, and professional
Scrabble.

bell hooks' Writing Beyond Race
<http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Beyond-Race-Living-Practice/dp/0415539153> -
With everything happening around the US and as the Code4Lib Journal ramps
up to put out our first special issue on diversity, I've been re-reading
hooks' work, and especially love this book.

Matt Kirschenbaum's Mechanisms : New Media and the Forensic Imagination
<http://www.amazon.com/Mechanisms-New-Media-Forensic-Imagination/dp/026251740X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418218683&sr=1-3&keywords=mechanisms>
- Words cannot describe.  Another book that I'm reading that's in the same
vein (though a bit older and more theoretical) is Embodying Technesis by
Mark Hansen.

Cory Doctorow's Little Brother and Homeland - The first one is by far
better, but both are great, quick reads.

Books I'm really excited to read, but haven't had time yet:

Martin Paul Eve's Open Access and the Humanities
<http://www.cambridge.org/nl/academic/subjects/general/open-access-and-humanities-contexts-controversies-and-future?utm_source=print+book&utm_medium=cover&utm_campaign=open+access>

Doctorow's Information Doesn't Want to Be Free: Laws for the Internet Age
<http://www.amazon.com/Information-Doesnt-Want-Be-Free/dp/1940450284>

Biella Coleman's Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces of
Anonymous
<http://www.amazon.com/Hacker-Hoaxer-Whistleblower-Spy-Faces/dp/1781685835/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418219027&sr=1-1&keywords=hacker+hoaxer+whistleblower+spy>

--

*Heidi Elaine Dowding, MLIS*