Thanks for these suggestions! The details of our requirements are still
being determined, but I expect it will involve placing the same js-powered
navbar on multiple sites hosted on different servers with varying degrees
of access, from entirely in-house to entirely hosted with some ability to
customize. I think plan A will be to pull in js using CORS and/or JSONP.

Meanwhile I will resign myself to an eternity of wondering what thread my
brain managed to warp onto this topic.

Best,
Anna