Hi Brian,

There are a lot of IT Service Management (ITSM) frameworks available that
cover hardware asset lifecycle management in some way.  Information
Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Software Asset Management (SAM) is
one.  In my experience these aren't really effective approaches taken
piecemeal, and there's a lot of overhead in subscribing to the whole
approach.

For some general advice, this article seems pretty decent:
http://www.archstoneconsulting.com/services/it-strategy-opeations/white-papers/optimizing-it-technology.jsp

The points about taking a holistic approach and avoiding a
one-size-fits-all refresh policy are spot-on.

-a

Andrew Livesay