Thanks for the help everyone, I've got it working great now.  Below is
the XSLT I ended up with and a few examples of the returns I get.  All
of the input was extremely helpful in figuring out the best solution.

XSLT Change:

<!-- dc.publication fields to dc.identifier -->
<xsl:for-each select="doc:metadata/doc:element[@name='dc']/doc:element[@name='publication']">
    <dc:identifier><xsl:value-of
select="doc:element[@name='name']/doc:element/doc:field[@name='value']"/>
        <xsl:if
test="string(doc:element[@name='volume']/doc:element/doc:field[@name='value'])">
            <xsl:text> Vol. </xsl:text>
            <xsl:value-of
select="doc:element[@name='volume']/doc:element/doc:field[@name='value']"/>
        </xsl:if>
        <xsl:if
test="string(doc:element[@name='issue']/doc:element/doc:field[@name='value'])">
            <xsl:text> Issue </xsl:text>
            <xsl:value-of
select="doc:element[@name='issue']/doc:element/doc:field[@name='value']"/>
        </xsl:if>
    </dc:identifier>
</xsl:for-each>

Output Examples:

<dc:identifier>Advances in Computer Science and Engineering Vol. 1
Issue 1</dc:identifier>
<dc:identifier>Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems Vol.
24</dc:identifier>
<dc:identifier>Vol. 2</dc:identifier>