I'm intrigued by this cross-browsing thing. Is the additional string of
characters added because the outgoing link becomes something like
http://search.alexanderstreet.com.ezproxy.yourlibrary.edu/ which looks like
the same domain as your library?

(sorry I have no answer on your original query)

ranti.

--
Bulk mail.  Postage paid.