Programmer
College of William & Mary
Williamsburg

 William & Mary Libraries is currently seeking applications
for the position of Programmer. We seek a talented,
energetic, and creative programmer who will provide technological solutions
for the development and support of multiple open source and vendor
systems. Some of the systems which the programmer supports
include:

  * the library's web content management system (currently Drupal);
  * scholarly and archival digital collection systems and repositories (including DSpace and Omeka);
  * web applications (such as LibCal and LibAnalytics);
  * internal workflow applications (such as wikis, project management, and tracking software).

As the systems administrator for several different applications, the
programmer will need to switch gears, creatively solve problems, and
communicate effectively with non-technical staff about the possible ways we
could develop our systems through programming and technological solutions.

William & Mary is one of America's oldest and best
universities. Located in beautiful, historic Williamsburg,
Virginia, the university claims both Jon Stewart and Thomas Jefferson as
alumni. U.S. News and World Report recently ranked us sixth
among all public universities, and the Library itself was ranked 17th on the
list of best college libraries in the country. Working at
William and Mary Libraries offers the opportunity to make a positive impact in
the educational experience of our small, smart, diverse student body and the
chance to experiment with new technologies and
projects.

**Responsibilities**
The Programmer will be responsible for basic systems administration support
for a variety of tools and applications. This person will
often troubleshoot problems with the interface or functionality of a system
and work towards a successful resolution of the problem.
She or he will provide infrastructure support for digitization of our special
collections and the management of digital content and help us advance our
systems as our services evolve. While we have identified
some shorter term projects for the programmer (such as setting up a system to
add library hours to our webpage from our LibCal calendar), the longer term
goal is better integration of our systems. We see this
position as crucial for providing back-end programming to help us integrate
systems such as the website, the catalog / discovery service, and the digital
collections of the W&M Libraries for better navigation by our faculty,
students, and other users.

Though there are many other people in the libraries focusing their attention
on systems, the programmer is the person who can assist with the set-up of a
new system, resolving problems, or assisting with updates /
upgrades. This person reports to the Head of Digital
Services and as part of the Digital Services Team, works closely with the Web
Developer, Campus IT and members of various digital initiatives.

**Major responsibilities include:**

  * Acts as the systems administrator for a suite of library applications and systems, including our web and digital content management systems, web applications, and internal workflow applications.
  * Designs solutions to technological problems through writing code to improve the usability of our systems and programs. This includes operating with open source and vendor designed applications and platforms. Troubleshoots programs and systems that may be unfamiliar initially.
  * Provides technical support in the development, enhancement and maintenance of library services. Offers ideas and feedback designed to help the libraries develop innovative and nifty tech content and services.
  * Acts as lead and/or team member on a variety of technology-related projects for the Library. Tracks project progress and task assignments and provides regular written and verbal communication on project status.
  * Provides support and training to staff on the use of technology when needed.
  * Continues to develop relevant coding / scripting skills through professional development opportunities.

**Qualifications and Skills**

  * Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
  * Experience with programming languages (e.g. PHP, Python, Ruby, SQL, JavaScript,).
  * Working knowledge of APIs and web services.
  * Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
  * Excellent analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to formulate options and recommend solutions.
  * Excellent interpersonal skills, especially in translating technical concepts to non-technical staff.

The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from
underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service
missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action employer.

Work Conditions & Salary

W&M Libraries strives to foster a culture of innovation with the Digital
Services Team being a central part. The Libraries provide
support for professional development and travel, flexible work hours, and
opportunities for campus wide engagement.

The College is committed to offering its employees a program of benefits that
fosters well-being, acknowledges the need for balance in the work, family and
personal lives of employees which, in turn, enables and sustains a productive
workplace. This includes 24 days of annual leave per year
in addition to 12 paid holidays.

Hiring Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, with minimum
salary of $60,000.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/22554/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/