Thank you, Will.
You gave me information for contemplation.

Larisa

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Will Martin
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2015 10:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Website KPIs

I'm only in the early stages of doing this myself -- still going through the IRB process, so I haven't formally started collecting data yet.

It looks like what we'll be doing is logging things into a MySQL database.  Some of that can happen automatically.  For example, I've worked out how to make our EZ Proxy log user names and time whenever somebody logs in, and that can be sent into the database automatically by running a script via cron job.

Other things will have to be done manually, or partially manually.  Our ILS can generate check-out reports in an annoyingly clunky XML format, and I can write a script to process that, but somebody will have to download the XML file from the ILS and upload it on a regular basis.
And our lab management program, LabStats, doesn't offer any facility for grabbing usage data other than copy-and-pasting from their web interface.  Thank goodness for student workers.

After that, the data analyst at the Office of Institutional Research will grab the data and analyze it in a stats program.  I can't remember which one they use, I'm afraid, but I could check on that if it's relevant.

Will