I would rather let AS speak for itself.
http://www.archivesspace.org/overview

I don't think that I made a clear distinction, and like many modern tools,
AS can do a lot beyond its core function. It can be used to present digital
collections, but that is not its strength. It can also integrate with
repository software — I have seen it working with DSpace — to provide a
more integrated, archive oriented solution.

I am far from being an AS expert. How does your institution use
Archivesspace?

Cary

--
Cary Gordon