Senior Full Stack Applications Developer
New York Public Library
New York City

**Seeking: **An experienced full-stack application developer to help reinvent eBooks and digital content discovery and access for public libraries.

With the support of the federal government and a broad coalition of library
partners, The New York Public Library is building an elite team of remarkable
and empowered product developers to further develop its mobile platform for
digital content. This newly imagined platform will serve as a new model for
public libraries across North America. The ideal candidate is that rare
intersection of software super-geek and social do-gooder seeking to improve
public access to knowledge and information. If you're game to help re-imagine
the public library eBook experience--and make that vision real (and
scaleable)--we want you!

This role will work closely with our other teams in the NYPL Digital
organization including NYPL Labs and the NYPL Digital Experience Group,
operating out of the New York Public Library's landmark Schwarzman building in
Midtown Manhattan. Our goals are to build a vibrant open-source community and
to ensure there is an appreciation and understanding of the library
community's requirements as we enhance our product offerings and work with the
commercial side of the eBook industry.

**About NYPL**

Based at The New York Public Library's landmark central branch on 42nd Street,
the team will be work with award winning team of engineers from across the
globe that are trying to re-imagine the Library in the Internet age. The team
works closely with librarians and curators to create imaginative tools, apps
and experiences around library content and services, often engaging the public
directly in the work of improving, organizing or remixing library data and
content services. At NYPL, you'll be joining an amazing creative team working
at the crossroads of public-sector technology in New York. In addition: a
great benefits package, ample vacation time, and a sane life/work balance all
make NYPL a fantastic place to work and create.

**Key Competencies:**

 Teamwork

 Communication

 Technology skills
and adaptability to new technolog

**Minimum Qualifications:**

All applicants should have the following:

 5+ years of
programming experience

 Strong RDBMS skills
(and preferably PostgreSQL experience)

 Experience with
search platforms such as Solr and Elastic Search

 Strong command of
Git or a similar DVCS

In addition, it is preferable if applicants have one or more of these:

 Code from a previous
project that we can see

 Experience writing
specifications for client-server protocols

 Experience building
e-commerce systems

Finally, applicants will receive significant extra credit for the following:

 Experience
processing bibliographic metadata

 Experience with
scheduling algorithms

 Familiarity or
interest in machine learning algorithms and recommendation engines

 Strong command of a
typed functional programming language (e.g. F#, Haskell, OCaml, et cetera)

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/23516/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/